Contact: +91-9711224068
  • Printed Journal
  • Indexed Journal
  • Refereed Journal
  • Peer Reviewed Journal
International Journal of Gynaecology and Obstetrics Sciences

Vol. 2, Issue 1, Part A (2020)

Outcome of medical induction of labour in postdated pregnancy

Author(s):

Monowara Sultana Rosy, Shamima Siddiqua

Abstract:
Induction of labour in postdated pregnancy is an important issue in modern obstetric practice. It might play a great role to reduce maternal and perinatal mortality and morbidity. The study aims to determine the outcome of medical induction of labour in postdated pregnancy. It is a cross sectional study carried out in the Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Chittagong Medical College Hospital, Chattogram, Bangladesh from October 2018 to April 2019. In this study among primi gravida 40% patient had vaginal delivery & 60% needed caesarean section, whereas 90% multigravida patient delivered vaginally & 10% needed caesarean section. 48% patient had favourable cervix & induced by oxytocin and remaining 52% patient having unfavourable cervix induced by prostaglandin followed by oxytocin. 55% caesarean section was done for fetal distress and 45% for abnormal uterine action and maternal complication occurred in 28% patient. Among the delivered baby 80% were healthy and 16% were asphyxiated. Oxytocin was found most effective in case of favorable cervix and prostaglandin in unfavorable cervix.

Pages: 03-08  |  1467 Views  703 Downloads

How to cite this article:
Monowara Sultana Rosy, Shamima Siddiqua. Outcome of medical induction of labour in postdated pregnancy. Int. J. Gynaecol. Obstet. Sci. 2020;2(1):03-08. DOI: 10.33545/26649004.2020.v2.i1a.9